Wednesday, August 7, 2024

9.9 Johnson


 
Hot and humid. Doesn’t happen all that often here up north, but when it does... well, the air is heavy and sticky, mosquitoes love it, and the bandana around my head keeps the sweat from dripping onto my eyeglasses whenever I do something other than sitting around.  

Sitting around. I’ve always been pretty good at it and even better now that the decades have settled onto my body. A comfortable chair in the shade of the front yard birch, listening to the birds with my dog laying alongside and enjoying the wisp of breeze.  Tempted to turn on some tunes in the house, some blues could pair nicely with the temperature, and let the music reach out through the window screens. No... love the blues but nothing tops Mother Nature. 

Hmmm... a forearm specked with bits of yellow deer hair. Trapped on sticky skin and arm hairs not easily brushed off in this humidity. Trimming small bluegill poppers outdoors to keep from cleaning the fly-tying desk, let the trimming fall and lose itself in the gravel driveway.  

The old Johnson outboard motor has been hanging on Dad’s homemade motor rack for years. He was smart to have wheels on it and I can roll it around in the garage. An ‘81 model, time to mount on the Jon boat (I named her "Sweetwater") to see how she runs. Started right up and pushed me around the lake just fine. Good times. 



Another day, the temperature is better. Pleasant. Sitting on the deck with a fruity cocktail poured in my Ned Smith Ruffed Grouse lowball glass. Ruffed grouse, King of Gamebirds – the heavy June rains have us wondering how the hatch came off. Gabbi the setter lies next to me, not wondering about anything, just content. And the bourbon is top-shelf, at least where I go.

 
“Expectation is the thief of Joy”. Casting those little poppers to bluegills hiding under lily pads is almost a sure thing. The bigger, popular, more glamorous fish can be unpredictable, but if it doesn’t work out there’s still reason to be there. Because it’s beautiful. That’s reason enough.  



2 comments:

  1. Al
    Add a little B.B. King for the blues and an outdoor setting like you have up there, and you have a winner. It has been hot enough to fry an egg on the hood of my truck lately down here. The dog days of summer can't come quickly enough for me.
    My brother had a 15 HP Johnson outboard on his 14-foot Jon boat until he quit fishing. He bought it used, and the motor never gave him any problems---quality motor that is better than the ones sold today. His son now has the motor on the same boat my brother fished out of.
    I thought about you, Grouse, hunting while watching one of my outdoor video bloggers the other day. He has been filming Grouse feeding around the log cabin he is building on a 40-acre plot of land he purchased in Quebec, Canada. I am into watching episode 10----working at my Dad's sawmill and being around lumber all those years made me appreciate the different species of trees this guy is using to build his cabin, not to mention the carpentry that has gone into this project.
    Type in Wild Homestead in Utube if you want to see what this guy is doing pretty much by himself
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill
      I just returned from a couple of days camping/fishing with friends. I'll likely post something about it when I get my thoughts together. I watched some of Wild Homestead and it looks great, I'll see more of it. Reminds me of Thoreau's words "In wildness is the preservation of the world."
      Good to hear from you.

      Delete